This unit of competency covers the skills and knowledge required to operate and maintain breathing apparatus and equipment in an irrespirable atmosphere, as defined by the Australian Standard AS/NZS 1715:2009 Selection, use and maintenance of respiratory protective equipment.
This unit of competency applies to operators who are required to wear breathing apparatus because they are working:
- in a confined space
- with hazardous gases/vapours
- in an oxygen deficient atmosphere
- in other situations requiring the wearing of breathing apparatus.
Operators may also be required to wear breathing apparatus in emergency situations, however, this is not the prime focus of this unit.
This unit of competency applies to an individual working alone or as part of a team or group and working in liaison with other shift team members and the control room operator, as appropriate.
A basic to moderate English language, literacy and numeracy skill level is required.
All participants are required to wear the following minimum PPE to enter our facilities:
- Fully enclosed shoes (steel-capped boots preferred)
- Long-sleeve shirt with high visibility
- Long work pants
Additional PPE may be required depending on the course requirements.
Work health and safety
Evidence required to demonstrate competence in this unit must be relevant to and satisfy the requirements of the elements and performance criteria and must include the ability to:
- conduct pre-donning tests on breathing apparatus
- correctly don and operate breathing apparatus
- identify hazards and apply control measures according to procedures
- communicate while using breathing apparatus
- determine the available working time from a breathing apparatus set
- correctly close down, remove and clean breathing apparatus
- report faults and/or damage to breathing apparatus.
There are no reviews yet.