19 Jan, 23

How To Apply for a NSW High Risk Work (HRW) Licence

Connection Group AustraliaHigh Risk Work LicenceNo Comments

You need a High Risk Work (HRW) Licence if you intend to work with any of the following:

  • cranes
  • forklifts
  • hoists
  • pressure equipment
  • reach stackers
  • scaffolding
  • dogging
  • rigging.

An HRW licence is valid for 5 years and can be used in any Australian state or territory.


To be eligible for an HRW licence, you need to:

  • be 18 years or older
  • have completed HRW training with a registered training organisation (RTO) in the appropriate class of high risk work
  • have been assessed as competent in the class by a SafeWork NSW accredited assessor working for the RTO
  • be able to use English at a level that enables high risk work to be carried out safely.

What you need

  • Once you’ve passed your assessment, your assessor will provide you with the following forms:
    • the original orange and white copy of your Notice of Satisfactory Assessment (NSA) 
    • the PDF form – ‘Assessment by a SafeWork NSW accredited assessor for a national licence to perform high risk work – Application’.
  • You’ll also need:
    • 100 points of evidence of identity (your assessor will verify your documents)
    • a passport-size photograph with your name and date of birth printed on the back (verified by your assessor)
    • your current HRW licence (if you have one)
    • your payment.

How to apply

You must apply within 60 days from the date of issue of your NSA.

  1. Complete the ‘Application – PDF’ provided by your assessor, but do not sign it.
  2. Gather together:
    • your orange and white NSA
    • the identity documents and photograph your assessor verified
    • your unsigned application form
    • your current HRW licence (if applicable)
    • your payment (if applicable).
  3. Select the ‘Find an Australia Post office’ button.
  4. Select ‘More services’ and filter by:
    • ‘Identity and document services’
    • ‘Licence to perform high risk work – NSW (new and renewal)’.
  5. Visit your chosen Post Shop, and:
    • read and sign the declaration in front of an Australia Post officer
    • lodge your application.

More information

  • If you make a mistake when filling out the application form, ask your assessor for another form or call 13 10 50.
  • You should receive your licence within 4 weeks.
  • You can use the pink copy of your NSA while you wait for your licence, provided you lodged your application within 60 days of the NSA being issued.
  • You can follow the same training and assessment process to add a new class of work, to your existing HRW licence.
  • A single HRW licence with multiple classes of work is valid for 5 years, from the date of issue of the first class endorsement.
  • Under the NSW Work Health and Safety Regulation 2017 high risk work requires a licence. Always carry your HRW licence with you when you’re at work. 


Source: Apply for a high risk work licence | Service NSW

Leave a Reply