This comprehensive Front End Loader course is designed to provide participants with the skills and knowledge required to safely and efficiently operate a wheeled front-end loader in a civil construction environment. The course meets the national standards and incorporates both theoretical instruction and hands-on practical experience. Upon successful completion, participants will be competent in conducting a range of common tasks including, but not limited to, planning and preparing for operations, conducting machine pre-operational checks, operating the machine, lifting, carrying and placing materials, and carrying out operator maintenance.
- Individuals who wish to work as operators in the civil construction industry
- Experienced operators seeking certification or re-certification
- Companies aiming to upskill their workforce in compliance with national standards
Upon successful completion of the Front End Loader course, participants will be able to:
- Master Prestart and Shutdown Procedures: Conduct comprehensive prestart checks prior to kicking off operations and implement proper shutdown procedures upon wrapping up work.
- Operate Equipment in Diverse Site Conditions: Demonstrate proficiency in driving and operating the wheeled front-end loader, tailoring techniques to adapt to various site conditions.
- Work with Multiple Types of Material: Complete tasks involving at least two different sorts of materials and demonstrate techniques for mixing, stripping, spreading, loading, cutting, and boxing.
- Execute Backfilling and Lifting: Skillfully carry out backfilling, lifting and carting of materials.
- Participate in Equipment Loading and Unloading: Assist in the loading and unloading of the wheeled front-end loader from a float or trailer.
- Conduct Site Clean-Up: Engage in site clean-up tasks, including parking and securing the machinery.
- Adhere to Documentation and Compliance: Locate and apply relevant documentation, policies, and procedures, including but not limited to isolation requirements, emergency protocols, and WHS policies.
- Utilise Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Correctly select and don the appropriate PPE for work activities.
- Prioritise Safety: Identify and report all potential hazards, risks, and environmental issues whilst applying safe work practices.
- Apply Problem-Solving and Troubleshooting: Utilise problem-solving and troubleshooting techniques during equipment operations, including identifying common equipment faults.
- Monitor Equipment Performance: Keep tabs on and manage machinery performance using indicators and alarms to ensure optimal operation of the wheeled front-end loader.
- Implement Levelling Techniques: Apply levelling techniques whilst carrying out operations.
- Determine Load Weight: Establish the weight of materials to be loaded or lifted, ensuring safe and efficient operations.
- Select and Use Tools: Choose and operate various tools and equipment essential for the tasks at hand.
- Communicate Effectively: Use a range of communication techniques and equipment, including hand, audible, and other signals for the safe completion of work activities.
- Meet Reporting Requirements: Fulfil all written and verbal reporting requisites and procedures related to equipment operations.
- Organise Work Activities: Plan and carry out work activities to meet all task requirements in an efficient manner.
- Understand Civil Construction Fundamentals: Demonstrate knowledge of key features of civil construction works, including terminology, basic principles of material technology, earthworks calculations, and sequence of activities in road construction, earthworks, and drainage.
These learning objectives aim to ensure that participants not only gain practical skills but also understand the underpinning knowledge required to safely and efficiently conduct wheeled front-end loader operations in a civil construction setting.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Basic literacy and numeracy skills
- A valid identification (ID) is required for verification
Participants will be assessed through a combination of a written exam and practical demonstration of skills. Successful completion will result in a nationally recognised qualification in operating wheeled front-end loaders.
Upon successful completion of the Front End Loader course, participants will receive a Statement of Attainment indicating their competency in conducting civil construction wheeled front-end loader operations.